The dominant mobile phone and communications provider in Kenya, with over 18 million subscribers, Safaricom hit worldwide attention with the launch of its innovative M-Pesa mobile money transfer service in 2007. This has helped further establish the company as the biggest not only in Kenya but in the whole East and Central Africa region. Though other providers, such as Airtel and Orange, has tried undercutting Bob Collymore’s telecoms giant, the success of M-Pesa and a reputation for reliability have kept Safaricom ahead of the competition, though their market share has been slightly eaten into. The company has over 20,000 agent outlets across the country. UK teleco Vodafone owns 40 percent of Safaricom, with the remaining 60 percent owned by individual and corporate investors.
The company employs more than 3,000 workers.